Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eclipse, Gus, Stitching, and Hope

I loved seeing the eclipse yesterday. I was lucky enough to have a pair of "the glasses" and they made it amazing. Mother came over and she and I sat in the HEAT (that doesn't even come close to how it felt) to view it. We took turns using the glasses. We poured sweat y'all to view it.

I will say it didn't get very dark here. I honestly remember an an annular solar eclipse back in May of 1984 during my first year of teaching in Georgia that I thought got a little darker, but that was over 30 years ago, so maybe I don't remember well.

It cooled down a couple of degrees and a breeze blew for just a bit. Didn't last long. I was worried we wouldn't be able to see it at all, because the everyday thunderstorm clouds were building, but they held off until afterwards. Like I said, the glasses made it worthwhile to sit in the heat.



Gus is truly growing like a weed. There have been two specific days when I have gotten up in the morning and felt like he grew overnight. He weighed 11.2 pounds at the vet yesterday. He has more than doubled his weight. Lemony is still being the best doggie ever. She is making it easy to teach Gus, because he just watches the perfect role model.

He is sitting under me as I type.

I have started the corn stitch. I didn't stitch at all yesterday, so it doesn't look like much progress. I knew this one would be slow going. There are 5 colors to change out to make the corn. I am determined to finish it by Thursday. I will have one more and then to finish them in some way by Labor Day which is my goal.



I have been studying Job in my Bible study time. That is not the easiest read, but not one to be avoided either. Today's teaching that went with my study was quite good. AS you might know, Job has 42 chapters and I am on 17. Day after Day tough stuff to read. Kind of reminds me of when I wanted to complain over the years, Mama would always let me vent and then pull stories from "where I don't know" to remind me I really didn't have it to bad. She would gently put me back in alignment.

Anyway, today had some thoughts were sharing...

Today's reading was from Job 17 ---he is just ready to die.

     "Hopelessness. It's one of Satan's most destructive tools in his bag of tricks. He uses it to try and slowly strip away the best parts of us, just like he did to Job."

     "I noticed that Job, even on that dark day of hopelessness, still cried out to God, asking for assurance and a pledge of security. It's as if a tiny shoot of hope pushing its way through the cracks of the concrete of hopelessness. And Job once again beloved that God was good and would come through for him."

     "Job was raw and real with his emotional words. He held nothing back, allowing the floodgates of his darkest thoughts to spill out of his mouth like a river before his Maker. And God let Job speak --- He didn't silence, shame or correct him. God let Job express what was on his heart. And although God chose to remain silent, His mercy love and compassion were powerfully active."

    "On those days when we feel hopeless, He is our source of strength and security. God wants to be real and honest with Him, even with our rawest emotions. But we must remember to always remain reverent and honorable to Him in the process. He will not forsake us or shame us. (Psalms 25:3a)  He will comfort and shower us with His compassion. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)"

All of this is from Leah DiPascal and my First 5 Bible Study app.

Completely grateful for His Word and Jesus,
Sandy


14 comments:

  1. Gus is a cutie...so glad you have a helper in Lemony to train him. Love that pretty corn stitch. I am working away on some fall pieces as well. We got some darkness here ...for about three minutes. Looked like a cloudy day that disappeared in no time. I really like the book of Job...it is a lesson for all of us in times of trial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made good progress on your corn piece. Gus is adorable and I am glad that Lemony is a good role model for him. We experienced some of the eclipse here, but the clouds were rolling in so our view looked like a storm was rolling in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really thought I wasn't going to see it for clouds. Weather just doesn't always cooperate. I am almost finished with the corn. Maybe a post tomorrow:)

      Delete
  3. Job is weighty for sure, but full of promise and dedication to be admired! How sweet you and your mom shared the eclipse together. I was hoping the temps would drop WAY down and stay for a while, but like you, we felt a blip of coolness, then it was gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you on a little cooler. The humidity has gotten me this summer for some reason, surely not age!

      Delete
  4. Such a blessing to have found your lovely place Sandy :0) since I live high in the mountains of PA, we were not even close to said event, yet, the light did get quite beautiful and quiet for a bit :0) Job...such nuggets of wisdom packed so tightly in those chapters!
    mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mari. Glad to have you.

      Delete
  5. That is so nice that you and your mom could watch the eclipse together. I wish I had been thinking more clearly that day ... even though there was not totality here there was still plenty to observe. If I'd been thinking, I would have spent the time with my local grandkids and enjoyed it with them. I am definitely not the sharpest crayon in the box these days. Thankfully I should have another chance in 2024 and surely, by then, this interminable estate process will be finished!

    Thanks for sharing your dog and stitchery updates and especially your study and observations concerning Job. One time a friend lent me Charles Swindoll's series on Job (audio, on CD) and I got more out of Job than I ever had before. So there's another great resource on the book of Job, should you be interested in digging even deeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been through the estate stuff. It is a long tedious process. I was so glad when I sold the last thing and had mom officially down here with no worries. I hope we have simplified her life so that it will be easier for me or whoever has to deal with it at her passing.

      Delete
  6. Your experience with the eclipse sounds a lot like mine, Sandy. It didn't even get much darker than a cloudy day so I was disappointed. Oh well, we have another coming in 2024 which will be much closer to western PA :)

    Good luck on finishing up your little corn stitching--you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am almost finished with it. It has definitely slowed me down with the color changes, but it is so pretty.

      Delete
  7. I love little Gus...he is adorable! I'm sure Lemony is a great friend to your little guy. How nice that you got to spend the day with your Mom. Love your progress on the corn stalk...the colors are perfect.
    I needed your reading today. Thank you for sharing. RJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RJ. I am glad it helped you as well. I am almost finished with the corn. Maybe a post tomorrow on it.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy