Thursday, August 3, 2017

Movie Review and a Little Time in the Sewing Room

Last night, Hubby and I went to see with Dunkirk with some friends of ours. My father-in-law and our friend's dad were both in World War II. Jeff's dad went into Normandy about three days after D-Day. He was part of the reinforcements. Still dead bodies stacked up on the shores. He was in the Battle of Bastogne and got a Purple Heart and a commendation. Our friend Mike's dad was a pilot and dropped guys off at D-Day.

Suffice it to say, both couples love to see anything related to WW2. The story of Dunkirk is an amazing story of the spirit of the British people.

All that said, the movie was a little bit of a letdown for me. The story is a great one to tell, but this movie was obviously made by one of those free spirit artistic people. There is little dialogue and lots of skipping around in the story. It has all these great reviews, but I just didn't think it was the greatest movie.

I am not sorry I went to see it at all. Any movie that gets us to look back at the time and be reminded of how lucky we are is a good thing. That said, I am a story line person. I wanted to see the story unfold a little more traditionally.

I did walk in my sewing room yesterday in bits and pieces. I had lots of interruptions ---all were good, but I didn't get that flow of time to think creatively.

Interruptions...Paul Allen came in with lots of questions about how to do things. He was trying to sell a little boat he has. It is slightly more than a john boat that was given to him way back when, but he needs some money so he was trying to get the title all figured out and stuff like that.

Lindsay came for lunch.

Mama came by and ate one bite...that woman does not eat enough to keep her alive. Then we sat outside with the doggies. I can't believe it was cool enough to do so. Weird. We ran a couple of errands and took Gus with us since I am not able to leave him yet. I had a couple of things I really needed to do, so she went along and kept him.

Back to my little time in the sewing room...


I stitched this forever ago. I am now trying to decide if it needs more trim. Of course, not this color, but I have one of those corders ordered, so does it need a little trim or do I just stop with what is on the left?

Then, I worked on the house that has been sitting on the work table for a long time now.


Can't decide between above or below. Nothing is attached. Still mulling this one over.


One more ....
This is another one I stitched forever ago. Thought I would finish it and put it up until next summer.
I stumped on it as well. The red piece is definitely too big. In fact I am not liking the red at all. Needs something a little less dramatic.



Like I said...thinking it all through. 

I need to get these finished and off my counter because I need to finish my other pillow, monogram a baby blanket, and then finish some Christmas ornaments I have stitched. They will be pillow ornaments.

For now, off to do my chores.
Sandy


4 comments:

  1. Sandy,
    I chuckled when I saw your comment about the "free spirit artistic quality" of Dunkirk. I thought the same thing. I enjoyed the movie, but got up to get a refill and was lost when I returned! I am always happy to see someone who still stitches. I love cross stitching and it seems as though it is a lost art. I have a delightful autumn piece I did many moons ago and your post reminded me to get it out and frame it before another autumn comes and goes!
    Blessings from Lynda at Still Woods Farmhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the comment was the teacher in me:) Our friends that we went with works in the school system as well. I am retired, but she and my hubby still work in the district office. We all walked out analyzing it, much like educators.
      I have renewed my love of cross stitching. I did it back in the day as well and framed everything. This time, I saw a lot of different things out there on blogs and Instagram, so I have been doing some of that for seasonal things to sit out on the counter.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review on Dunkirk. We will wait until we can check it out at the library! Love all your smalls. I struggle over finishes as well. Mull it over and something will come to you when you least expect it. It is a nice morning here at Grimmwood... having coffee on the porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so cool lately up your way that I bet you are indeed enjoying that cup of coffee while looking out at the pond. It is raining here.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy