Thursday, August 17, 2017

Sunflowers and Dogs

I finished the sunflowers yesterday.





I really only had about 10 x's left on Tuesday night, but I was too tired to finish. Yesterday was the first day back for our small group Wednesday evening Bible study group, but I managed to get those x's done. We take off a few weeks in the summer and just do a social in late June and late July. I had gotten off my cleaning routine last week, so I was in a mad dash to clean up the main level of the house and make dessert. The house looks good, so I am going to spend some time stitching today and if the heat doesn't kill me work in the garage.

I plan to start the corn today. The pumpkins will be last.



Gus is 10 weeks old today. I have to take pictures of him sleeping or take video, because if he is awake he is in play mode. He is doing great and I am so enjoy him except at 4:30 in the morning. I am not an early riser.

Here are a few I have tried to take..




Lemony is amazing. She keeps him occupied about half the day. That is good for her too. I think she was bored without Lucy.


I am getting excited about the eclipse. I wish I could be closer to the strip. I really have no idea how dark it will be here. I have researched, but everything is in a percentage and that just doesn't tell me anything. I entertained driving to our cabin Sunday evening to see it from there, but I think I will just stay home. It was fun to hear Katie talking about teaching her 4th graders all about it. She dropped by with Paul Allen after school yesterday. Of course, schools have to be so careful with lawsuits. Our district has taken a policy of no outside activity. I think there will be a ton of absences.

One last cute one of Gus.



That is about all going on my world,
Sandy


13 comments:

  1. The sunflowers turned out beautifully, Sandy! Are you planning to turn these smalls into coasters, or finish them in some other way?

    Gus is simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I am not sure just how I am going to finish them. Not coasters for sure. I had planned little pillows, but I have started them on a stiffer linen, so I am not sure how they will sew up. I have pondering it. I am going to finish all four and then think it through. I have a frame that a family member made for me. I was thinking about chicken wire and then attaching them, but I am not sure if the frame will be big enough. I am still thinking about it.

      Delete
  2. Little pillows would be a great idea. You could pile them in a wooden bowl. Quite a few years ago I made some simple little fall ornaments -- appliqued, not cross stitch -- that are like little pillows to hang from a cabinet knob or a peg. You can see them here -- Little Fall Ornaments.

    But you're right -- the stiffer linen may make them too difficult to sew into pillows. I will be interested to see what unique ideas you come up with. Chicken wire in a frame sounds like a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AS you can see by my quick replies, I am spending far too much time on the computer this morning, but after working all day yesterday I need to rest. I love those fall pillows. If I can pull off pillows, these would be a great idea to add to them.

      Delete
  3. Sandy, I love how your sunflowers turned out. They are so pretty and will look wonderful no matter what way to chose to finish them. What is the name of the linen you used? I have used stiffer linen and had no problem making them into the little pillows so it will work. They would look great in a bowl with some of the mini pumpkins that will be in the supermarket in the near future.

    Well little Gus is quite adorable and takes great photos. I love Lemony. We had a Golden for 15 years that I miss so much. They are such lovable dogs that only want to please. Have a great week. RJ@stitchingfriendsforever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the linen is a Wichelt linen. I through the package away. They would look great in a bowl or basket. I am going to finish all of them and then see what I have.

      Lemony is a dream dog. I should have just been happy with her. Gus is my 4th Springer Spaniel. They are very different and I love both. Lemony is definitely by a mile a better behaved dog than my Springers. She is so easy going. No leash required. I see why they are in so many ads and movies. She has enjoyed Gus though. I think she likes having the playmate. She just cried out loud when Lucy passed away.

      Delete
  4. Your stitches are so pretty and the pup is just too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this series that you are stitching, Sandy and the sunflower finish looks lovely. I do love sunflowers--such a cheery flower. Unfortunately, the ones my husband planted in our garden are brown!!! Who wants brown sunflowers :( Oh well... there is always next year, right? The fabric that you're using is so pretty and your stitches are perfect!

    We are supposed to get about 80% coverage during the eclipse here in western PA. My library was giving out some of the special glasses so, yes, I'll be watching :) I hope the sun isn't hiding behind clouds that day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we will all have a sunny day so we can get the fullest effects possible on Monday. I am enjoying this series. IT isn't just sunflowers that aren't growing here. This has been the rainiest summer I can remember. It has the green stuff looking great, but no flowers are blooming. They are all just over watered. That is hard to believe in the summer, but it is true and then coupled with the heat, I have no flowers.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your sunflower finish! Gus is a cutie; glad Lemony is enjoying the youngster. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I started the corn last night. Moving right along.

      Delete
  7. The sunflowers really look nice on the linen! You are so talented! And yes, we hope it's sunny here tomorrow afternoon too. We've had so many scattered showers lately! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy