Saturday, July 7, 2018

Disappointed Yet Thankful

I had not expected to post for many days.
I was set to get on a plane this  morning headed to Haiti.
Last night at around 8:00 PM, my very close friend and pastor's wife, Tami called me and said you aren't going to believe what I have to tell you.

She was so right. Shaun, her husband was on the phone with the people who operate the mission facilities where we were headed. The Haitian government tried to slip in a gas price increase during the soccer games in hopes that people wouldn't notice.

What ensued was a revolt!

You didn't hear about it on the news here. I have a new respect for Twitter. I have always used it for breaking news when I am not home, but honestly mostly for sports.

It was amazing to see the videos pouring in from the country. Just average citizens filming the disruption.

Had we gone, we would have arrived in Port au Prince to this scene at the airport.



Not exactly what a mostly women's group of Americans would have wanted to see.

Shaun said that even on the country side where we would have been if we could have gotten out of the airport was in disarray. They don't even know a storm is on its way.

The people of Haiti make about $2.00 a day and fuel now costs $10.00 a gallon.

I didn't even know what to feel last night. Relief that we weren't going to a crazy situation. Sad that I wasn't going to get to spend a week getting to know Katie (my son's girlfriend) much better. Disappointment for all who had worked so hard to put together an amazing trip for the teachers of Haiti. I have not worked this hard in several years on teaching.

Anyway, my emotions are still all over the place, but I am trying to focus on the people of Haiti and pray for them at this point.

I think we forget about what it is like in a country with so much turmoil. I know I look out my windows at a beautiful sunrise each morning and really don't give much thought many times to the remainder of the world.

Jeff and I went to the beach very early this morning to walk. It was his attempt to get my mind settled. I saw a small sand dollar. One of my favorite things.



If you are reading this, please take a moment to pray for the people of Haiti.

I have no clue when we will reschedule. I am sure some of us will go at a later date.
I am very grateful we are not there with the unrest and a storm on the way. I had many people praying.
Pray for them now!
I am still thinking I will take a few days away from blogging to clear my mind.

Thoughtful,
Sandy


23 comments:

  1. Sorry for your dissappointment and for the people of Haiti's need to revolt.
    Hopefully, there will be better times and your dream of Haiti will come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several mission teams that did not get out and are stuck for now, so please keep them in your prayers.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Vickie. I am so grateful this morning. There are several mission groups stuck in Haiti. I supposed they were leaving on Saturday probably on the plane that would have brought us. Remember them in your prayers.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for letting us know. I had you on my prayer list specifically for this time of your trip. Will continue to pray for all of this matter. I know this must be hard. And yes, thank you for the 'reality check' -- not all of the world has the blessed peace we possess here, right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I needed to let my sweet Christian friends and prayer warriors that I have met on this blog know. I really knew many of you were praying just as I do. There are several mission groups stuck in Haiti. I am sure they were scheduled to leave on the plane that would have brought us. I am not feeling much consolation that I got my plane ticket refunded in light of what they are going through. I am praying for them and so very grateful I am home in America on my way to the church I love so much this morning.

      Delete
  4. I saw this on the news about Haiti ( I read the news online-you get more than what tv gives you) and was praying your trip was cancelled. I'm so relieved that you did not fly into that turmoil. Hopefully in the future you will be able to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary, I am indeed very grateful I am home. I am sure the groups that are stuck were to fly out on the plane that would have took us. It is pretty bad and it popped up really fast. So so grateful to be home.

      Delete
  5. Sandy, thank you for sharing this news. I will continue to pray for those who were supposed to be returning home and for the people of Haiti. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so very grateful to be home this Monday morning. It has certainly given me much to think on. I found out that the teachers we were going to train were very disappointed. That makes me sad.

      Delete
  6. So glad you are home safe and sound....Our world changes every day doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that is the thing that is settling in on my today. You never really know ---everyone really thought we would be safe.
      So very grateful to be home.

      Delete
  7. Well, I'm so glad this didn't happen while you were there, Sandy... I hope they don't reschedule the trip too soon! Glad you are safe at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots to think about on scheduling the trip. I guess when you go to a place like that you never really know. I am so grateful to be home this morning.

      Delete
  8. Oh Sandy...my husband read about this this afternoon and was telling me about it. My first thought? wonder if my becky homecky is already there??? was very concerned about you so even tho I worry about the Haitian people, I'm more worried, yet happy, that you are safe and sound.
    and the silver dollar??? a sign that you are being watched over....
    I'm sorry about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so very grateful to be safe and at home. I knew I had to post to let everyone know I was ok after I finally saw it on the news. IT was so slow to make it to the national news level. There are still some stranded there. I am hoping they get out today. I guess you never really know what can happen when you choose to go to a third world country. I have soaked up my surroundings this week and been so grateful to do that.

      Delete
  9. I thought of you when I saw the news about the riots and unrest. Glad you are well and I'm praying for Haiti too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Terri.
      I have soaked up being home!

      Delete
  10. So thankful for the sovereign hand of God -- that you are here and not there. Will pray for those mission teams still stranded there. Again, God has allowed them to be there for some purpose of His own.

    What a blessing to find that sand dollar ... and how well your hubby knows you, to get you to the beach to clear your mind and thinking a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs. T.
      I truly know God was in it. So grateful to be home. I have just soaked up home and family.

      Delete
  11. Sandy, I'm so happy you are still home. What a heartbreaking story! Let us know when the trip is rescheduled so we can keep you in our prayers for safety. RJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. I think it will be next summer as all but me are active teachers, so we will have to work around school. I think the teachers of Haiti were disappointed.
      It is good to hear from you. You have been on my mind today. Hope all is well.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy