Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Adding a Little Spring to the Kitchen

 The days are getting longer and I am looking forward to the time change even though we lose an hour. The sun has been shining which has made me a happier girl. I have spent a bit of time each day outside walking or puttering in my flowers. I went this past weekend to see if the Vinca / periwinkles were in, but they are not so I suppose I am rushing the season. I have scaled back with my plants outside which is making it more fun and not so much work. The beds we changed out last year are looking so much better and I will share them in late spring again so I can document the changes to the yard. 

This camellia down the street is dropping all its goodies, but behind them is coming my favorite of spring...the azaleas



I love camellias and honestly think it is my favorite thing about winter.

I saw part of this poem on Instagram the other day and had to go look it up. The following is still only a portion of it, but I love it..


The camellias bloom in Winter when the skies are cold and gray 
When the sun shines at it's weakest and the Spring seems far away 
Each tree an individual by the shade of flowers they bear 
An avenue of camellias of one shade of flowers more often than not rare. 

In shades of pink and creams and reds the colours one might name 
Each is an individual for no two look the same 
The beautiful camellias resplendent in their flowers 
They bloom in lawn and garden on Winter's coldest hours. 

by: Francis Duggan

I have three camellias in my yard. They are small compared to the many on my street. We planted them a few years ago. This year I finally had a good many blooms. I am down to my last three or four, but like I said the azaleas are about to pop open.'

Isn't she lovely?!

I am still wearing pants and long sleeves for the most part, but hunting my most springy colors in the closet. Speaking of fashion, I never did  let y'all know my decision on those wide legged jeans. I did send them back and deleted the picture I had taken to show y'all. That particular pair was a little heavy material for my neck of the woods and they came up really high. I am very short waisted, but I gotta tell you I am excited to see some extra fabric coming back to the pants. I may actually find myself purchasing some new clothing while they are out with this new style.

I never shared my kitchen photos that I took early last week on the cloudy days. I figure I better do that before I forget.

Here is looking in from the living room. The amaryllis bloomed once more and has now been planted outside. My official stance on them for next year is I will go back to a poinsettia and leave these gorgeous things to outside. 



Tucker was here yesterday and immediately noticed the Easter candles. That-- my friends made me so happy.


We have a new toaster oven / air fryer. I am not loving it. I want to put my old one back there. I still have it because I was going to take it to Auburn and keep forgetting. I wonder if Jeff would even notice.



I left real life out including my vitamins and Benefiber. Just saying. 


Circling around the kitchen we go.
The opening to the left above goes to the hallway to laundry and garage and just behind the cross is the formal dining room.

Then around to the kitchen sink which somehow seems to always have dishes even with two people. BY the way... if you are coming in from the garage where essentially everyone who comes to our house does, your first thing to see is the sink. I always hope people notice the water and not dishes!!!


Am I the only one who would think such a thing??

I added a little spring decor in the corner.





We finish up at the table where until this January I have been decorating with my table linens and candles for the seasons. This year I am soaking up those peaceful blues and haven't changed them out. I have used the candles and linens in the formal dining room.


That is the tour that I promised. I also like to document how things look as well. I love looking back and thinking how crazy something looked and what was I thinking occasionally.

To end this post, I have out my Easter basket on the dining room table. I don't think Tucker went in there. I  forgot to show him.

This was my Easter basket form childhood. A little treasure still.



I hope it is warming up and the sun is shining in your parts. 
Sandy













15 comments:

  1. Sandy, You have a beautiful spacious kitchen. Washing dishes with such a lovely view must certainly make the job more tolerable. The camillas are gorgeous. I didn't know they were a winter flower. They don't grow here. How nice you have your Easter basket from childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I know camellias go as far north as Virginia because I have seen Instagram photos. I just assumed they would grow other places as well. They are truly a gift in winter here. I do think the view helps a bit on washing dishes which may be one of my least favorite chores. I will take vacuuming anyway over dishes. 

      Delete
  2. I love that window over the sink...the one thing I miss about living in a townhouse. Love all your Easter Touches and that amaryllis is just spectacular. I hope we can be in Savannah when the Azaleas are blooming. It is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do hope you get to Savannah soon. It was released yesterday that they will start vaccinating 60 and under starting the 15th. Woo hoo. I think that will mean that by the end of March I probably should be able to get my first dose.

      Delete
  3. The azaleas are really out in full bloom around this area right now. I want to take a ride into Palatka where there are lot of old homes and see the azaleas. The camellias are also blooming, but I think they are almost done. I wish I had some at this house. I left them at our last house. I hope the new owner appreciates them. I planted quite a few of them and azaleas too while we were there, so they are still small, but they should be growing and blooming anyway. Your house/kitchen looks beautiful! And I LOVE that you still have your own Easter Basket from childhood! Now that is a treasure for sure. I guess it is time to decorate for Easter because once St. Patrick's day is over Easter will be less than two weeks away. I guess I need to get busy and get ready!! Thank you for reminding me. Tucker should be really fun this Easter. And next year you will have two little ones to enjoy!! What a blessing!! Thank you for sharing your lovely home and view with us. Don't you just love looking at the water? I wish my kitchen faced our pond, but it doesn't, and I don't really have a good view from the kitchen...only the street out front, which is boring. So I tend to not spend any more time in the kitchen than I have to. My computer faces the pond, so that is why I am here so much! LOL. Bye for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I do hope you get to Savannah soon. It was released yesterday that they will start vaccinating 60 and under starting the 15th. Woo hoo. I think that will mean that by the end of March I probably should be able to get my first dose.

      Delete
  4. Sandy: Lovely tour of your home, thank-you for sharing.
    Have a wonderful day

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun tour! I love your kitchen and the décor you have chosen. I am a bit fascinated by your dining room chairs!! They look unusual and lovely! I would for sure notice the beautiful view out your kitchen sink's window! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dining chairs are definitely old. They belonged to my in-laws and I figure they were purchased in the early 60s. I still love them. 

      Delete
  6. Lovely tour, Sandy! I noticed the picture above the sink before seeing the dishes! Will you take the new toaster oven/air fryer to Auburn? May I ask what you don't like about the new? Bruce has decided we should have a toaster oven or air fryer. He is still researching, but I would love to hear your thoughts on the one you bought. Sunshine and blue skies here as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stitch above the sink was an unfinished stitch started sometime in the late 1990s. I always loved it but life got so busy. I think the only thing I stitched after that were a couple of things in Paul Allen's bedroom (some dogs and a deer). I always knew I wanted to finish it. It was what I picked up when I retired. It was a little "country" but I love it. I think if you stitch large pieces you really love you will want them no matter the style of home or trends, etc.I don't like our new oven at all. I don't think it heats as evenly for reheating or toasting which was what I used my other one all the time. I rarely use the microwave to reheat but use the toaster oven daily. I could care less about that air fryer. I think it is just another gadget, but I will have to outlast Jeff on that. I have my old one sitting in Lindsay's room to take to Auburn where we could use it, but I am glad I have forgotten it the last two times. Maybe I can convince Jeff to put the old one back and take the new one to Auburn. I know some people love them, but I am just used to cooking my way and Jeff grills on the weekends. He heard someone talking about an air fryer and fell hook, line, and sinker. 

      Delete
  7. Love seeing your kitchen all decked out for Easter. How fun that you have an Easter basket from your childhood. I'd also love to hear more about your air fryer and why you don't love it. Inquiring minds, and all that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an air fryer is the latest gadget. I use a toaster oven daily and actually multiple times a day. My old one heated things so evenly. I don't like this big clunky thing. I haven't found the location to place the tray for reheating like my old one. I haven't used the air fryer once and I won't ever. Jeff listened to someone talk about it and he fell for it. He has only used it twice. He grills on the weekends. Now, maybe when he retires he will use it. He loves to cook. Me not so much. I just like to do it my way. Now, if it were a baking gadget that might be a different story:)

      Delete
  8. Awww... how sweet that little Tucker noticed your new decor addition :) That warms your heart, I'm sure! Loved seeing your spring touches in your kitchen, Sandy. I sure wouldn't mind standing at the sink and doing dishes if I had a view like yours--there is something so calming about a water view.

    Had to laugh about your comments about pants--I just bought a pair of yoga capris that are high waisted and I love the way they look. No more muffin-top :) Those low-waisted pants are not attractive on anyone except the very young and trim. I should really get out there and look for some new spring clothes after a year of wearing nothing but yoga gear :)

    Enjoy your weekend! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a regular waist. I hate the low and the tight legs, so I am hoping I can find something other than knit that I will like a lot:) I may purchase a few pairs of everyday chinos this summer and some new jeans this fall while the style is looser and higher. I just need to try on at the store since I am so short. I am getting my first shot Monday, so that will go a long way in Jeff not freaking out everytime I go out of the house.

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy