Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Color My World

     Anyone thinking of the 1970s song by the band, Chicago? Chicago X is in my top 5 favorite albums of all time which has absolutely nothing to do with this post today.

No, this is not a post about the song, but a post from a girl whose imagination has returned and her need to write thoughts. 

I do love color and weirdly have an entire Pinterest board called "I Do Love Color." I have this crazy obsession with collecting paint chips and color combinations and have found the best way to group them is on Pinterest. Of course, once you pin one item, then those things pop up in your feed all the time adding to the madness.

I have to admit to being a color snob and having rejected all things white these past few years. When white walls and white couches and all white kitchens became the latest thing in vogue, my mind just said, "NO AND NO!"

I would occasionally see a kitchen with white and think, "Well that does look nice and clean. I might even see a white couch and think it was pretty if it had colorful seasonal pillows on it. White walls were completely rejected though.

Then today I was walking around in the yard and started paying attention to the orange blossoms. They are the most beautiful shade of white I think I have ever seen. They are almost a pearl on the tree surrounded by the most beautiful green leaves....

Which leads me to another thing about color I learned from my husband. It is nothing earth shattering, but an analogy that had never run through my mind which is almost always ruminating on something. We were choosing a paint color for a bathroom many years ago that had some blue tile, so he said we should go with green because he took his cues from nature. 

You see nothing we ever create comes close to God's creation. If you looked at my obsession on Pinterest with color palettes, you will notice many of those pins have something in nature to guide the color palette.

Source: Pinterest

Source: Pinterest


The idea of looking to nature and of course my handy dandy color wheel has guided me ever since in choosing colors for a room.

Now, back to that orange blossom. As I sat and stared at that orange blossom with its pearly white petals, I thought, "You know, I could have walls that color of white!" 



No, I will not be changing any walls. I like what I have and I will not changing to keep up with trends, but I am looking at white with new eyes. 

By the way, I do drive a white truck:) I do wear white pants starting Easter Sunday often to make up for the fact that I still adhere to the old rules of fashion and plan to keep them regardless of what you are thinking:) I did choose white cabinets in my sewing room...

Thinking about color is just one of the many things that rolls around in my ole noggin sometimes!

Update: Mother is feeling better and got a special visit from a very good friend. Mrs. Cathy and her husband stopped by and stayed for two days. They have a motorhome and still travel in it. Mother and Cathy have been friends since they met in 1961 on a military base far from home in Germany. Cathy is 6 years younger than Mother, so she was probably around 20 when they became best friends that have stayed in touch across the miles all these years. She visits every so many years and it really cheered Mother up. I snapped this picture of them as we ate at a local seafood place.



To round this post out, I noticed this picture 

Terrible picture, but notice top shelf...


which is me thinking color and balance and all that when I arrange things. I recently found this vintage black orange blossom Florida plate and had to have it. For $10 this pre Disney plate with landmarks listed just called my name. It even has Fort Walton Beach instead of Destin, golf where Disney is now and Cape Kennedy rather than Cape Canaveral. 

I had to rearrange the shelf when I swapped out the plate that was there with this new black Florida tray. I went with black and gold in the clock on the left, cream with the candles, black and gold with the tray, and then cream and gold in the tall clock. I tried to mix up but repeat the colors. 

I have so many color combos I love... 

  • burnt orange and navy -naturally...War Eagle
  • pink and green -think preppy
  • blue and green
  • navy and olive
Do you have a favorite color combination?

Colorfully writing my thoughts,

Sandy

11 comments:

  1. Well, you certainly have my color wheels turning in my head this morning. I haven't thought too much about color lately, but now you have me thinking. I like your color combos. Very interesting way to approach color ideas... I love nature hues for sure. Oh, and I love your Florida plate! What a great find! I don't like the changes that are happening in Florida. I would prefer it the way it was pre-Disney for sure!!!! That's why we live where we do...as far away from the crowds and tourists as we can be. Take care and have a wonderful weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. The plate was an Etsy find. I wasn't exactly looking for it but it was less than $10 and it just spoke to me. I definitely miss the orange groves and old sights on the way that are now all signs for Disney. Disney is neat but good grief it brought so much pavement and I hate to see the kids who only go to Disney and miss out on the national parks and places like that. That is my soapbox for today.

      Delete
  2. Great tips for color! I like cream walls.... not too bright, but neutral to any other decorations....and usually choose stained wood over painted furniture (or cabinets)... Of course, like everybody, decor preference changes as the years go on... ;-) Favorite color combo? French blue and yellow... grey and yellow... green and navy... I grew up in a house that had a lot of dark woods and rust carpeting/furniture... so, I'm kinda more into brights these days! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. White. Well, I had an all-white kitchen in a previous house which was built as a spec house (translation: I had absolutely nothing to do with the color choices of the house). I really really disliked the white cabinets and years later we had the kitchen remodeled to oak cabinet finishes. Loved it.

    From that house we moved to a house where the cabinets were black, which again was not my fav choice, but they did look really nice. But the builder painted all the walls that khaki brown that, again, was quite sharp in appearance with the white woodwork around the doors, baseboards, etc. But all that dark was depressing to me. Skip forward to this house where I got to choose everything and as you have probably noted, my kitchen is all white. The walls are white, too. I knew enough about myself to know I needed white to help with my mental state.

    Wow. With all that's happened in my life these past few months, the white kitchen has been a blessing. My next kitchen won't need to be all white -- I do like wood. But that's my story.

    My house color scheme tends to follow your Pinterest picture with the bird (tans, browns, dark reds, and beige with white).

    Love the picture of your mom. I like her haircut, too.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Well my house is painted Khaki in the main areas so I can change up things without too much trouble. However, I am a blue and white girl with pops of yellow and green. Mostly green!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed your post on color, Sandy! Everything in my home is wood and people thought we were crazy, but it works for us. I can change up accessories if I want to assorted or varied color palettes. I do enjoy seeing pictures of color palettes from nature. There is an account on Instagram that I have saved color palettes from. What a wonderful picture of your Mom and her friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, Wood is among my favorite things. I love wood doors and trim and love those homes that have an all wood library with leather chairs. I have a friend that her home is amazing. Her dad designed it and it has all kinds of nifty things like no doors because of angles, but the best things is all the wood, stone and windows. I am always at home in a wood room. It is funny since I love light so much, but wood evokes warmth to me.

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh, I do love lots of colors together. Two that always stand out for me are blue and yellow and gray and yellow. All shades of green... Great photo of your dear mom and her friend! I enjoyed your post, Sandy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lots of color in my home and have TWO red sofas in my living room here. In our condo in the mts of NC I have what I call mountain colors...reds and browns and golds. It cheers me up to see color. I love that neat plate you found and the way you decorate your shelves! Enjoy your evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sandy: Nice post, I like color myself, I do like whit but only in my bathrooms, white and navy blue look so good together.
    I am so happy your Mother is feeling better, what a treat to have her friend stop by, that must have lifted her spirits to the highest level.
    Have a wonderful week-end

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandy, I love color and I love wood...I would love to have a log home and decorated it in rich fall colors. I have never had a white wall though I would love white kitchen cabinets!! I love red-green and gold and blue and white and all the fall colors combined. I do not care for the grey that is so popular...I do what I like and don't care about trends. I think it's neat you found that plate and it looks great on your bookcase. So glad to hear your Mom is doing well and how nice for her to have a visit from her long time friend.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy