Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Springtime in the Neighborhood

    I haven't been stitching, BECAUSE I can't come inside. The days have been pretty. The azaleas are in full bloom in my little corner of the world and having a banner year of blooms. I have been working and fluffing in my own yard.

I will share some of those pretty blooms with you. My backyard azaleas are coming back after Jeff severely pruned them two years ago. They had gotten rather large so he did a major cutback. They are showing off now.


Since that picture even more have opened. They are simply amazing.

This is what makes spring such a pretty season. Blooms everywhere.

The front side yard got its fresh pine straw and is looking pretty spiffy. Let's take a tour down the side that is the entrance of our circle.


I just had to buy the Golden statue to honor Lemony. She joins the big sea turtle, starfish, Pete the pelican, and the deer in that part of the yard. 


More azaleas.


Some are hidden from this angle, but when you drive in you see them. Three of the five homes in the circle have azaleas in their yard like this too.


Then all down the street in both directions they are so pretty. So many colors. White, coral, dark and light pinks, purples, and what this year is my favorite color - the deep wine color ones (for which I didn't photograph).



Scenes from street on my walks.



Well, then I started thinking about my front flowerbed and decided on one more change.

My first change came in September of 2019 when I pulled up all my roses in the front flowerbed. You can read about it here

I had replaced the roses but had left some privet hedge that made a corner on that flowerbed. I have never liked it there, so I mentioned it to Jeff and we spent time this weekend digging around to loosen then pulling them out with the truck. Then I was tasked with moving all the dirt back around and getting it level to put a new plant there. I was worn out and he actually pulled a muscle throwing away a very root bound Lily of the Nile in a pot. Are we getting old?

Anyway, I have put one of the newer azaleas that are supposed to bloom spring, summer, and fall in that corner. They don't bloom prolifically like the others, but we actually have some at the Auburn house so I have seen them and it will be a little bit of color and green.





It is quite tiny now, so I moved the Spaniel mama dog and pup over and the bird feeder to balance it out until it puts some growth on.


I changed out the three pots on the ledge with all green stuff. I actually had all of it in pots, so nothing new was bought. I have a collection of pots I keep hidden on the side of the house to change things out.

I got my pansies replaced with the vincas.


They really grew large and proud last year, so they are coming back for the summer. 
I kept the dianthus for a while longer. They will go into the summer but not the major heat of late summer.


The fruit trees are popping and now have blossoms and you may have noticed some tomato plants next to the vincas. Jeff is trying tomatoes again this year.

Lemon Blossoms


and Orange Blossoms


The orange blossoms are truly gorgeous. They would make a wonderful bouquet.

I have so many azalea blooms, that I cut another bunch to bring inside and enjoy.


And just like that spring is here and oh so pretty. I will stitch soon, but I have so enjoyed the days in my flowers. 

Feeling springy,
Sandy



13 comments:

  1. I would say enjoy spring while it lasts. This showy springy flowery beauty doesn't last long enough and then we are in the hot days of summer...so enjoy being outside as much as you can while you can. There will be plenty of time for stitching later. I love the Golden monument for Lemony. That is so sweet. I enjoyed seeing all of your pretty yard and flower beds. I really need to get to work on ours but just can't seem to get much interest from others to help me as they are all otherwise occupied, and I don't have the stamina or strength to do it by myself...so...I do what I can and appreciate what we have. Love your azaleas so much!! Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After this round of changing things out, I decided what I have done better last because we aren't getting any younger! Puttering in a potted plant is way different than pulling up shrubs. Whew! 

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, your yard is amazing! I appreciate green thumbs and beautiful landscapes so much! I didn't get that gene, unfortunately. Gorgeous. I love the Lemony statue. Thanks for sharing your lovely blooms! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the walk around your circle and yard, Sandy. The azaleas are so pretty. Love the golden addition in memory of Lemony. Trees are starting to bud here which means tree pollen has been high. The side effect of spring that is not enjoyable. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I forgot to mention the pollen. Ha. I had a little bit of a headache after all that time in the flowers. The water has a yellow layer on it. IT isn't in complete full force yet though.

      Delete
  4. You have such a green thumb! If I lived at your house, I would just stitch on the deck.lol So glad you found a Golden to place in your garden to remind you of Lemony. Oh I found out what kind of dog my neighbors have...a Boykin Spaniel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came home yesterday from the panhandle to see my 5 Azalea bushes in the front yard absolutely ablaze with pinks and corals. It was a delightful sight to see!

    The Lemony statue is wonderful.I look forward to meeting Gus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is just something about azaleas for me. Jeff says they don't last long enough, but I say they don't have to last long since they are such a show for their short time. I can't wait to see you:)

      Delete
  6. Sandy: What a beautiful tour of your garden, thank-you for sharing with us.
    I too would be outdoors in weather like yours, it looks so warm and inviting in your yard.
    What a sweet idea to have a statue in the garden to honor Lemony.
    Have a beautiful day

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even with the pollen, we are getting out as much as we can! It is beautiful everywhere you look! We've found some orange trees on one of our trails and the blooms are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing your pictures of the azaleas and other flowers blooming! They make me miss living in the south (South Carolina, near Charleston). Maybe i'll move back there when I retire. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy