Wednesday, August 18, 2021

A Little Life Lately That is Not so Heavy

 I really wanted to record a little life and do some of that "chatting" we all love even if we don't do that on blogs anymore. Everyone has gone to other medias, but I still love chatting on blogs when I am in a chatty mood.

Jeff, Mother and I were sitting at the kitchen table the other day and we got to watch an exciting event. Oh how I wish I were a nature photographer! An osprey landed on the pine tree limb right next to the deck with a fish in his grip. The fish flopped with the osprey holding it firmly. When the flopping stopped he started munching down. I am glad most of my meal was down because even though it was spectacular to watch I wasn't so hungry after watching him munch on that fish.

I tried to snap a few pictures with my phone through the kitchen window which does have a screen on it. I knew if I moved too much or went out the door he would fly off.





Never a dull moment. If you don't see ospreys in your neck of the woods here is a link to them... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osprey I see and HEAR them daily. They have a very unique sound.

I went to bed on Sunday evening thinking we would have a tropical storm on Monday. Schools were canceled. I checked the track and it had moved east and was going into Cape San Blas later in the day. Because it was only a storm I didn't think we were going to get anything. I was right. We hopped in the truck to go check out the beach.


Pretty big waves and it had come up to the walkways so it is just a reminder that it is just a tropical storm that does that. So grateful that is all it was for anyone. Too much going on to even process the bad.

Trust me when we have a light hearted post I am well aware of so much hard going on. Sometimes we just need an escape so that is what we will have here today.


On Monday, when Lindsay went to her first physical therapy, I had a dentist appointment and he was off from work so he watched the boys for Lindsay.


I mean it doesn't get any better than this.

I know many are starting to think about fall from the stitching and fall clothes popping up in my Instagram account, but I am still fully deep in summer. I am not in any way ready to put out fall decor. I see that light trying to change on me and I am saying to it each evening, "NO...stop...wait just a little longer!

That said, I an old school fashion rule follower. I know many of you are rolling your eyes and if you knew how I really rolled around here daily you would give me no credence to any thoughts I share. I like my gym shorts and little cotton Talbots or LLBean tees way too much to be a fashionable lady anymore. I do however still have pride in how I look and try to spiffy up for my few outings such as Publix, the doctor's office and church. 

I say Talbots tees and LLBean tees because I don't really like t-shirts much. I am so short and small at the top but have a little 60 year old tummy that I find all those t-shirts with the cute sayings never fit me well. I ordered two v-neck tees from LLBean this spring and I have lived in them this summer. They were in petite and had a womanly fit without being tight. CAN'T do tight...nope.

All that preface to show you my thoughts after Labor Day when you live in a climate where there will be no real fall until December.

I won't wear white, seersucker, linen or the like after Labor Day. I wear it like it is going out of style from Easter until Labor Day though. I have worn white slacks to church this summer until I am sure people are talking about me. "Does that girl have any other color pants?"

With no seasons, I use the holidays to change the colors of my tops. I wear a ton of pinks and blues in the summer, but come the days after Labor Day I change to more fall colors. Oh they are still cool weather tops. Here are three (a little sampling) that will get a lot of wear in September. 

Again the photography skills are just plain awful and I have a great iPhone. I am just not one to get it right.
The colors are not as they are so let me talk afterwards.


The one on the left will get so much wear during the fall months because it is so comfortable and the just right shade of brown for a "Winter" color. Remember the colors of the 80s. I am a winter. The tee is probably 20 years old. It is when Talbots really had such good quality. The middle shirt is olive and I will wear and layer it with a cardigan when I go to a restaurant. Not going out so much right now...besides that ugly V word and no workers, we really stay home mostly. The navy one will also get a lot of wear. 

See these look like fall and are still fitting with the weather I will be dealing with for months to come.

Another thing: purses. I have written extensively about my love for purses on the blog. I even have a label in my list for that:) 
It will be time to switch out from the summery bags to the fall bags. 

When I taught I spent far too much money on purses and schoolbags. I have now cleaned them out and set a limit on how many I can have in my closet. If something new comes in something has to leave. I had 12 when I saw the straw bag below on eBay. I had so wanted a straw bag, when I found this gem. It is an Aigner from way back when. It was in mint condition. I don't think anyone had ever used it. $20. I have so enjoyed it this summer. 
I got rid of two Spartina 449 purses to purchase this one so now I am down to 11. One is really more sentimental than anything else. 

I will soon change out to this Fossil purse that is 20 years old. 



I actually like a smaller size more these days. I must tell you my love for purses found a much needed cure when I found the bag talked about here. This one is pure perfection for someone retired. I honestly use it 90 % of the time.

So while I am not ready for fall decor I am realizing it is coming because the light is reminding me and Labor Day is right around the corner and my old school fashion rules remind me to do certain things. 
I am going to hang on to my shells for longer than anyone else out there in the virtual world of social media though. 

Stitching some sunflowers a few years back helped me there.

Let's talk books: I have read a couple of really good books this calendar year but boy have I picked up a couple of doozies this year too. I am utilizing my library now so at least I didn't buy it and feel sick to my stomach over a poor purchase. I picked up one the other day on the new release shelf that I had seen someone talking about on Instagram. This was not someone I knew- just a decorator I follow. My stars---y'all. If I had read a few pages I would never have left with it. I didn't get three pages in before my eyes were burning. It was just not for me.  Honestly ---no wonder our country is in the shape it is if people are filling their mind with that darkness.
Anyone out there with some good books lately?  new or old.

I hope you enjoyed some lighthearted reading in this crazy time we are in. 

Here are the boys in their matching shirts. Probably a lot more of that in their future.
A onsie and a t-shirt with sharks and an orange pocket.

We need more baby pictures with the events going on...



Gus says hello too. He has an appointment with a professional groomer next week.
Sandy


"Come let us worship and bow down; Let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. For He is our God." ---Psalm 95:6-7a

13 comments:

  1. I often make book recommendations on my blog. You could probably tell from the bit I write whether you'd like it. All my books are from the library, so should be pretty accessible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your newsy fun light post very much. I tend to follow the rules of fashion as well, although I never wear white pants or shoes. I tend to be rather large in the hip area and white just seems to accentuate that and so I stick with darker colors on my bottom half year round. I change the shirts with the seasons, but my standard black and navy and sometimes khaki capris or slacks will have to do. I don't like to change purses often, but will change with the season. I also take a different dress purse to church usually rather than my usual everyday purse. I am looking forward to changing over to fall, and will probably start decorating right after Labor Day. I am not a summer person...I am an autumn person, since my birthday is in September, and I like all things autumn, especially the colors. I haven't done any reading this summer, which is very unusual for me, but hubby and I have been binge watching Murdoch Mysteries on Acorn, and that has taken up my reading time. When it comes to books, I am very careful about who and what I read, so I lean toward mostly Christian authors for fiction...or some cozy mysteries that are deemed "safe" for my eyes and sensibilities. LOL. And yes, I read only library books unless it is a book written by an author I know personally or have had recommended and I want to buy it for my collection. It's been a while since I bought any books, however. Okay, that's enough. Love the pictures especially of the boys and Gus and that Osprey! You did good!!! Have a wonderful rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SO enjoyed your chatty post today! I agree with you about not buying anything tight to wear. My clothing has to be comfortable and definitely not tight. Purses... ahhh, purses. I need to do a clean-out too. Those boys are so cute and I love the matching shirts. Gus is quite handsome! Love & hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, I really enjoy your chatty posts! First off, have you read Jan Karon series or the All Creatures Great and Small series? I know they are old but favorites of mine. I love Farley Mowat's books. Two lighthearted books are The Dog that Wouldn't be and The Boat that Wouldn't float. Autobiographical and laugh out loud funny. If I didn't pass them on I would send them to you. The last book that I read that I could not put down was The Cooked Seed by Anchee Min. Autobiography of a 27 year old coming to America for China, she could not speak English and came to be a well know author.
    Last year I gave away my white slacks because I saw too many old ladies wearing white slacks. I surely am not an "old" lady. Well, what did I buy this year? 2 new pairs of white slacks!! I can't get away from them. But, I won't wear them after labor day either!!
    I love fall and jeans, boots and nice sweaters are my favorite clothes to wear. Can't wait!! Don't get me started on purses, I wore a uniform to work so my thing was nice bags. I loved the early Coach and Dooney and Bourke bags. Clothes nowadays are made to be worn for a season or two, not like the quality of years ago.
    How neat to see the osprey fish! I love your beach photo, I think you would have a good eye for photography!!
    Darling photo of the boys being cared for by your husband. Enjoy the rest of your extended summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always enjoy the chats, Sandy! I feel like we are sitting across the table visiting. Love the pictures of the boys! I bought a new purse this summer. Really like it except I think the snap closure could be bigger. Your straw bag looks great. Lovely shots of the Osprey! Have a good Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the beach picture. The colorful shades of blue in the water with the white sea foam is absolutely beautiful. Doesn't look like I'll get to see any of that in person any time soon, so I am just drinking in your photo.

    The Osprey was interesting. I've seen a little more of nature this week than I care to stomach. A black snake slithered across my back paver patio, and I had to deal with a wasp nest in a bush (got stung a couple of weeks ago, now I know why), and saw a big black crow flying off with a gecko in its mouth during an early evening walk. All that combined with the news coming out of Afghanistan is hard to swallow.

    But on the bright side, the pictures of Tucker and Palmer with Grandpa are sweet.

    I'll probably wear my white capris and shorts into fall, as long as it's hot, and then switch to autumn colors. Like you, I've been pinned as a Winter and that works well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for a light blog this am....you know me and purses. I did purchase an R Riveter purse that was perfect for summer but it is a light aqua blue and white. I may change to my khaki nylon Dooney after labor day. I love that Aigner purse...what a buy! Like you, not a big fan of tee shirts. I have some that I wear around the house to clean in etc. I love LL Beans vee neck shirts and I saw several things in the Appleseeds catalog that I might order for fall. Those babies just make me want to hug and squeeze both of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gus looks like he knows you typed the word groomer. Adorable photos.
    Books, I've had a similar experience. Thankfully I found Sarah Graves' books, good plain old entertaining no smut or gratuitous gore. Handbags. Good time of the year to shop used straw, wicker, and grass purses. Just saying. :) Fossil is a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an enjoyable chatty post, Sandy! I felt like I was right there at your kitchen table with you :) I hate giving up my white capris, but will also do so after Labor Day--I do live in them all summer as it's so easy to pair a cute top with them and call it an outfit! I don't like tight either--boy do our bodies change after 60! I still weigh the same, but everything is following gravity down to my tummy area, too :(

    Love the photo of the boys. It still amazes me how they grow from tiny babies to big boys like Tucker in a few short years. Enjoy your weekend, Sandy! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those grandkids are adorable! I have read a series this summer called the RoyalSpyness mysteries by Rhys Bowen. They are wonderful lighthearted mysteries set in England in the 1920’s. They were recommended by a friend and I got them very cheap and sometimes brand new on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly for the book recommendations. I think I have seen this author's name before and will check her out.

      Delete
  11. This was enjoyable, Sandy. From the beach pictures to the clothing to the little boys. :) I even went and read the post about your new purse in 2016, and followed the link to Infusion at Etsy and had to look back a bit in that shop to see the evolution of their products. It was a fun way to spend 20 minutes or so. A light read is just what we all need, I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun to watch that Osprey! I hope we can get out on a trail this weekend. It's just so HOT and humid! Enjoy your weekend. You do so much for your family. I know you love to do it all too!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by my little blog. Drop in again anytime.
Sincerely,
Sandy